The Original Holy Trinity Church in Cannes was built towards the end of the nineteenth century and opened for worship on 19th December, 1884.

Between 1884 and 1970 the value of the site increased enormously while the church structure deteriorated noticeably. It was accordingly decided to pull down the old church, build a new block of flats on the unconsecrated part of the site, and a new church, with underground parking, adjoining the new block. A French architect, M. Weber, was engaged with a British church architect, Mr. Norman Haines, in an advisory capacity.
The foundation stone was laid on 25th September, 1971, by the Hon. Mrs. Christopher Soames, and the church was consecrated by the Rev. John Satterthwaite, Bishop of Gibraltar, on 29th September, 1973.

As Holy Trinity would be located within a town famed as a holiday destination and conference centre, it was felt that provision had to be made for congregations of very varying size, and this was arranged by dividing the church with a transverse screen, which could, on occasion, be opened into the church itself. This arrangement led to a church form which was wide rather then deep, and could only be accommodated by curving the rows of pews to meet two ambos rather than a conventional pulpit. The space available to the church also allowed for a vestry, reading room, library and kitchen. The chaplain's flat adjoins the assembly room with a small terrace garden facing south.

Please click here to download the PDF to see pictures and read about the 8 stained glass windows in the North and South Clerestory (Acrobat Reader Required).

N.B. Link to Adobe is currently slow.